EXERCISES
53.1
1. A :
What shall w do ?
B : We could go to the zoo
She suggested going to the
zoo
2. A :
Do you want to play tennis ?
B : No, not really.
He didn’t fancy playing tennis
3. A : You were driving too fast
B : You’re right. Sorry!
She admitted driving too
fast
4. A :
Let’s go swimming.
B : Good idea!
She suggested going for a
swim
5. A :
You broke the DVD player
B : No, I didn’t !
He denied breaking the
DVD player
6. A :
Can you wait a few minutes ?
B : Sure, no problem
They didn’t mind waiting a few minutes
53.2 Complete each sentence with one of the
following verbs (in the correct form):
Answer Apply Be Forget Listen Live
Lose Make Pay Read Try Use
Lose Make Pay Read Try Use
1. He tried to avoid answering my question
2. Could you please stop making
so much noise ?
3. I enjoy listening to music
4. I considered applying for the job, but in
the end I decide against it
5. Have you finished rading the newspaper yet ?
6. We need to change our routinr. We can’t go
n living
like this
7. I don’t mind you using my phone, but pleaase
ask me first
8. My memory is getting worse. I keep forgetting
things.
9. I’ve put off paying this bill so many
times. I really must do it today
10. Waht a stupid thing to do ! Can you imagine
anybody being
so stupid ?
11. I’ve given up trying to lose weight-it’s
impossible
12. If you gamble, you risk losing
your money
53.3 Complate
the sentences so that they mean the same as the first sentence.
1. I can do what I want and you can’t stop me
You
can’t
stop me dong what I want
2. It’s not a good idea to travel during the
rush hour.
It’s better to avoid travelling
during the rushhour.
3. Shall we paint the kitchen next weekend
instead of this weekend?
Shall we potspone painting
the
kitchen
until next weekend ?
4. Could you turn the music down, please ?
Would you mind turning the music down,
please ?
5. Please don’t interrupt all the time
Would you mind not interupting all the time?
53.4 Use your own ideas to complate these
sentences. Use-ing
1. She’s a very interesting person. I always enjoy talking to her
2. I’m not feeling very well. I don’t fancy doing anything
3.
I’m
afraid there aren’t any chairs. I hope you don’t mind sitting beside me
4.
It was
a beautiful day, so I suggested going with me
5. It was very funny. I couldn’t stop laughing
6.
My car
isn’t very reliable. It keeps making me difficult
54.1 Complate the sentences for these situation
1. A : Shall we get married ?
B : Yes, let’s
They decided to get married
2. A :
Please help me
B : OK
She agreed to help him
3. A :
Can I carry your bag for you?
B : No, thanks. I can manage
He offered to carry her
bag
4. A :
Let’s meet at 8 o’clock
B : OK, fine
They arranged to meet at 8 o’clock
5. A : What’s
your name ?
B : I’m not going to tell you
She refused to tell her
name
6. A :
Please don’t tell anyone
B : I won’t. I promise
She promised not to tell anyone
54.2 Complete each sentences with a suitable verb.
1. Don’t forget to lock the door when you go
out
2. There was a lot of traffic, but we managed to handle
to the airport in time
3. We couldn’t afford to live in London. It’s too
expensive
4. We’ve got new computer softwere in our
office. I haven’t learnt to use it yet
5. Mark doesn’t know what happened. I decided
not to
tell anything
6. We were all afraid to speak. Nobody dares to say
anything
1. When I’m tired. I enjoy wathcing
television. It’s relaxing. (watch)
2. I’ve decided looking fo another job. I need
a change. (look)
3. Let’s get a taxi. I don’t fancy to walk home.
(walk)
4. I’m not
in a hurry. I don’t mind waiting. (wait)
5. Tina ran in a marathon last week, but she
failed to
finish. (finish)
6. I wish that dog would stop barking.
Its driving me crazy. (bark)
7. Our neighbour threatened to call the
police if we didn’t stop the noise. (call)
8. We were hungry, so I suggested having dinner
early. (have)
9. Hurry up! I don’t want to risk missing
the train. (miss)
10. They didn’t know I was listening to them. I
pretended being asleep. (be)
1. You’ve lost weight (seem) You seem to have lost weight
2. Tom is worried about something (appear) Tom appears to worry about something
3. You know a lot of people (seem) You seem to
know a lot of people
4. My English is getting better (seem) My english seem
to be getting better
5. That car has broken down (appear) That car appear to has broken down
6. David forgets things (tend) Davidtend to
forgets things
7. They have solved the problem (claim) They claim to
have solved the problem
Do Get
Go Put Ride Use
1. Do you know how to get to John’s house?
2. Woulld you know what to do if there was a
fire in the building?
3. You’ll never forget how to ride a
bicyclye once you’ve learnt
4. I’ve been invited to the party, but I haven’t
decided wheather
to go or not
5. My room is very untidy. I’vee got so many
things and I don’t know where to put them
6. I have someclothes to wash. Can you show me how to use
the washing machine ?
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar